Making an Implant Denture at Kings Dental
(Average time between Appointments – 1 Day)
- 1st Consultation – Diagnosis and Treatment Planning – 30 mins.
- 2nd Consultation – Treatment Plan Presentation – 30 mins.
- Records Appointment – 1 hr. – Impressions to make models are taken. Photos are taken.
- 3-D Scan – 30 mins – Three dimensional image taken at an imaging center to learn the architecture of the bone for successful implant placement.
- Implant Placement – 1 hr. – Implants are surgically placed in the bone and are alllowed to integrate into the bone for 3 months before the denture can be attached.
- Impressions – 30 mins. – Impressions are taken to make a Denture.
- Bite/Block – 30 mins. – Bite record taken for temporary denture
- Wax Try In – 30 mins. – Denture is tried in with the actual teeth set in wax so the patient can be view and approve of the look and feel of the teeth.
- Delivery – 30 mins. – Denture is delivered to the patient and the denture is attached to the implants using an abutment and attachment. The denture is now completed, go out and get a juicy steak!
“Snapped on Denture”
(Comes in and out at night.)
Implant supported dentures (or simply implant dentures) are secured in place by dental implants instead of simply resting on the gums as conventional dentures. At minimum, 4 implants are needed on for the upper arch and 2 implants are needed for the lower are for adequate support. For our implant dentures we use extremely high quality Physiodens® teeth that can withstand the extra biting force generated by chewing with implants.
Advantages Over Conventional / Immediate Dentures
Improved Confidence: Patients with implant dentures can feel more confident in public because they are no longer afraid the embarrassment of a denture that might slip out of place when they eat, talk or laugh.
Improved Comfort: Implant supported dentures are much more comfortable for the patient, basically due to their secure placement that eliminates slipping or moving. The patient’s comfort is also increased by:
- less irritation of gum tissue (pain and canker sores are common problems for patients with conventional dentures)
- not covering the palate allows better, more natural feel of the mouth
- better feel due to the less plastic used
- no need to use denture adhesives
Eat Better: Even with a perfectly fitting removable full denture, the patient has about 20% of the chewing efficiency of a person with natural teeth. The problem becomes worse with aging, because more jawbone is lost and dentures do not fit well, making it difficult to eat certain foods. Implant supported dentures can significantly restore the chewing efficiency over 50% and allow the patient to eat properly and follow a more normal diet without being restricted to soft foods. (very hard or sticky foods should still be avoided)
Taste Better: An implant supported denture does not cover the palate of the mouth. This alone can improve the sensation of taste and let the patient better enjoy his food.
Less Bone Loss: When the natural teeth are lost, the surrounding bone loses its role of supporting them and the body starts to resorb it as useless. The lack of stimulation provided by the teeth roots can lead to massive bone loss in the jaws, seriously affecting facial integrity and appearance. Dentures start to not fit well and have to be replaced or repaired every few years. Denture implants act as the teeth roots continuing to stimulate the bone cells and help the jawbone around them to stop deteriorating. If enough denture implants are used they can help the jawbone structures to remain healthy and intact.
Improved Speech: Patients with conventional dentures have difficulty with speaking clearly. Slurred speech and clicking noises are common problems. Steady implant supported dentures help patients talk easily and relaxed with more clear and natural voice.
Fixed Hybrid Denture
(Stays in all the time)
Fixed hybrid dentures are secured with implants and become a complete replacement for teeth that do not come out. Because of the extra force from being completely implant supported, more implants are necessary for success. At least 8 implants are needed for the upper arch and at least 5 implants are needed for the lower arch. For our implant dentures we use extremely high quality Physiodens® teeth that can withstand the extra biting force generated by chewing with implants.
The fixed hybrid has all the same advantages as a removable implant supported denture plus some additional features:
Does not come out at night – More convenient although cleaning can be more difficult because they do not come out.
Completely Immobile – Feels more like natural teeth because they don’t move at all during use.